As I listen to NFL type people tell us that is why is crucial to time a player run in a straight line for 40 yards in basically his underwear, it got me to think about some of the events, people and “things” about sports that really do not matter.
Here are a list of a couple events that are not needed in sports – in no paticular order.
1. NFL Combine -maybe, just maybe, the least reliable way to evaluate talent (the NFL is far ahead of every other major sport in this category). It is of course available for your viewing pleasure on the NFL Network.
2. NFL Preseason – Who wants to play regular price for tickets when the starters don’t even play the game and don’t get paid the “salary”. Check into the last part.
3. NBA Regular Season Before the All-Star game. The games don’t matter until halfway through the fourth quarter. Unless it is a great match-up and a team needs to make “a statement”.
4. The Skills Contest during NBA All-Star weekend – It would be more entertaining if they pulled people from the crowd.
5. The fact that the MLB All-Star game determines who gets homefield advantage for the World Series. Then why play the rest of the season??
6. About 73% percent of non-game programming on ESPN.
7. A Salary Cap in the NFL – ITS CALLED A SIGNING BONUS.
8. Fines that are anything less than $250,000. People would listen a little more.
9. Al Davis.
10. Billy Packer – Kind of a creep.
11. The One Year Rule in NCAA Basketball – There has to be a better solution.
12. Different sized and shaped hockey arenas in college hockey.
13. The New York Knicks outside of Nate Robinson and David Lee.
14. Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks – All of you are incapable, just give the ball to Adrian Peterson please and either block someone or GET OUT OF THE WAY!
15. New England Patriots quarterbacks – No matter who it is , they win.
16. Player contracts in soccer- Recently, contacts have become meaningless in almost in every sport, but soccer is horrible – i.e. David Beckham.
17. John Madden talking.
18. Bracketlogy before March – some buddy needs something more productive to do.
19. ESPN pretending the know and care about soccer outside of this country or any soccer player not named David Beckham or Landon Donavon. And why do they always say their full names?
20. Bobby Knight talking – they call him Bob now that he is at ESPN – it’s like Pacman changing to Adam, no one forgets.
21. Club covers - unless they are funny.
22. The NHL in the south.
23. Fantasy Baseball – too much work.
24. Time “Limits” durning the actual draft process. If you can’t make a deal and or figure out who you are going to pick.
25. How diffrerent people yell the same damn thing every time Tiger Woods tees off - Get in the hole“
26. This blog.