> My Blossoming Love Affair With Golf
My Blossoming Love Affair With Golf
Last summer, I found golf, for the second time. I had attempted to play the game at a much younger age when I had no idea about how to swing a golf club. One day, I decided that if I was getting better distance on the throwing of my clubs then the swinging of my clubs, it was time to stop. Before I hurt someone.
But I picked it up again last summer. I golfed with the same handful of guys and found that it didn’t matter if you had a bad day golfing. Because, regardless of how poor I played, I was still outside and playing golf. So, life can not be all that bad. Not bad at all.
I am not the richest person, so my golf game is also fueled by the almighty dollar, and my ability to stretch it. My ability to find discount rounds at odd times and still get a cart, or but “previously owned” equipment, made me feel a little bit better.
Trying to find used golf equipment is key to this potentially very expensive game. Because you don’t take out the new Lexus when you are preparing for your drivers permit. You practice on your dad’s 1968 Ford pick-up that is an automatic with gears that shift like making change in the Catholic church and is missing at least one side-mirror and the rear-view mirror.
Here is my golf fact sheet:
- I paid $100 for quality Ben Hogan Clubs from a friend. This is what started it all.
- The spikes I use were given to me.
- I do not have a membership to a course, have no plans to purchase in the near future.
- I have no clue where I rate in the world of handicaps, because I do not know mine.
- I bought my bag for less than $60 and I took the green/black option because my wife prefers green and my chances of not sleeping on the couch were much better than if I would have gone with black.
- I would love to play more than once a week and more than just 6 months out of the year, but time and location make it difficult. It is April and we still have snow on the ground.
- I use ezlinks.com to find discount prices. Maybe the single greatest site for my golf life.
- I am getting better at reading the pitch and knowing where the ball needs to be in my stance, but I struggle knowing which club to swing.
- I am a very inconsistent driver, I am confident and solid with my irons, and a slightly below average putter.
- I have a subscription to Golf Digest. I read the articles if I have nothing else to read before bed, but I always turn to the “how to improve your wing” or “swing basics” looking for trade secrets. Not sure it is helping.
- I will watch some golf on TV – it is very pretty in HD, but have never been to a live event that featured pros. I am sure it would be a better experience.
- I feel great about getting par, and I am not sure if I had more than 3-4 birdies last summer.
- I plan on re-gripping my clubs to help with the tendentious in my arms and wrists.
- I watched a good chunk of the Masters. It was pretty crazy.
That is the state of my golf game, nothing too crazy.
Today, I received an e-mail from the park district. There is a chance that a couple courses could open April 20th. Here is to dry weather and sunshine.