Quick Hits 7/28/09
Brett Favre Staying Retired
Good god. Is it over? A few of the major sports outlets – i.e. ESPN.com, yahoo.com, etc. – are reporting that MN Vikings coach Brad “Why do I still have a job” Childresshas confirmed with the Star Tribune that Favre is staying retired.
This is really an unlikely outcome to the drama that has played on between Minneapolis and Mississippi. I really did expecthim to sign with the Vikings, but lately the rumblings were that he was become more and more concerned with his legacy andthat the move to MN would destroy any relationship with the Packer Nation.
So, those suppose No. 4 Vikings jersey are going to be collector gold if they were actually made. I have no feeling either way, but I am glad that it is over.
Mexico 5-0 Over US in Soccer
This game fell on it’s ass in about 5 minutes. But they USA were fielding their “C” squad, with none of the players from the Confederations Cup in the stadium. So take it with a grain of salt.
Mexico did look amazing with Tottenham’s Givoani Dao Santos and Arsenal’s Carlos Vela looking like they were playing against a JV High School defense.
US looked tired in the second half and only Stuart Holden and Kyle Beckerman looked like players who deserve to have a chance to play on the “A” squad.
Team USA National Basketball Try-Outs
The word on the street is the Kevin Durant is dominating the US Try-outs. And Durant’s his shooting ability is something the team lost with Michael Redd going down with injury – Durant shot 42% from distance this season.
Some people are saying, Durant isn’t good enough to play on Team USA, here is a run down of his stats last season. 48% from the field, 42% 3PT%, 86% from the free throw line, 6.5 rebounds per game, 1.3 steals per game and 25.3 points per game.
You may say that his team is a losing team and his stats are not legit, but you can not ignore his shooting percentages, no matter the record of the team.
- Drew Gooden and Tim Thomas signwith the Dallas Mavs: Who cares? Not me. Well, I must a little. I put it in my blog!
- Tyson Chandler and Omeka Okafer have changed teams: It is a wash for now. I like them both, but I think Chandler will struggle away from Chris Paul’s lobs.
- The Timberwolves trade Etan Thomas, Damien Wilkins and picks for Chucky Atkins: I like Chucky, and I like the changes. Now figure out the Ricky Rubio situation!!
MN Twins Justin Morneau for AL MVP
Please do not get blindsided by the easy coast. Check out the stats. Morneau is in the Top-10 in every major oeffesive category.
There is no other player has that kind of collective stats, maybe teammate and BFF Joe Mauer. New York’s first basemen Mark Teixeria and Tampa’s third basemen Evan Longoria are close, but Morneau has to be the leading candidate.
|League Leaders – 2009|
|• Ranks 9th in AL in BA (.315)||• Ranks 1st in AL in HR (26)|
|• Ranks 1st in AL in RBI (82)||• Ranks 6th in AL in R (70)|
|• Ranks 9th in AL in BB (54)||• Ranks 6th in AL in OBP (.400)|
|• Ranks 1st in AL in SLG (.595)||• Ranks 2nd in AL in OPS (.994)|
PS – The Twins have four of the top 25 homerun hitters in the AL – that more than NY, the Angels and the Red Soxs.
Morneau – 26, Kubel – 17, Cuddyer – 18, and Mauer – 17.
Random Soccer Bits
- World Soccer Daily - If you are looking for some great football chatter, check out http://www.worldsoccerdaily.com. They are they only daily soccer show on Sirus Radio, but you can listen live on your PC or watch the the show live on UStream.
- www.objectivo.com. For unique soccer influenced T-Shirts. I received my Landon shirt – sweet.
- One of my favorite podcasts is from ESPNsoccernet – check here for the latest epoisode of the crew.
- I have Grant Wahl’s book, The Beckham Experiment,and I have not ye tread it. When I do, I will post my opinions.