Quick Hits: 9/28/09
NFL Bits of Info
- Brett Favre is the first Vikings QB to throw for 300 yards since Daunte Culpepper did it in 2005 – that was 63 games ago.
- Terrell Owens played a games without a catch fo the first time since is rookie season in 1996 - 185 games ago.
- The Detroit Lions won!
Lamar Odom Married Khloe Kardashian
What? Not sure I care enough to really want to know that details. But here is the article from ESPN.com.
Minnesota Twins Still In The Chase
The Twins are only two games back and start a four-game series with the Detroit Tigers to determine the AL Central Championship.
While neither team has a great record, this will make for the most interesting baseball to watch in the remainder for the regular season.
For a solid preview on the series, take a look at ESPN.com’s breakdown.
|Chicago Sox||75||81||.481||8.5||43-38||32-43||700||720||-20||Won 1||3-7||0.0|
|Kansas City||64||92||.410||19.5||33-48||31-44||662||799||-137||Won 1||5-5||0.0|
2010 Recruiting Class/Conference Rankings
ESPN.com has put it’s ranking for the college basketball recruiting classes of 2010 and the Big Ten have four of the top fifteen - Ohio State is No. 1, Illinois at No. 4, Michigan State at No. 9, and Michigan at No. 14 (Purdue is No. 20).
I made some statements last year saying that Big Ten is getting better very quickly and this is just more proof. The Big Ten is going to be a very dangerous conference top to bottom, and this years BigTen/ACC Challenge should be very competitive - just like last year - minus the UNC and Duke games.
Jay Bilas has the Big Ten ranked as the No.1 conference in the country and here are his points.
“The Big Ten always has been strong at the top, but the bottom of the league often has let the league down. For too many seasons, the Big Ten has been unfairly criticized for its style of play and the relative weakness of the lower third of the conference. Not this season. There is nary a doormat in the league, as Northwestern, Iowa and Indiana all will be much improved and much more competitive nationally. Michigan State and Purdue are the two best teams in the league, and the Spartans make a great case for being the best team in the country. Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota and Ohio State will be in the national discussion all season. It should have happened long ago, but the conference should finally win the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, an annual irritant to the Big Ten’s reputation. If a team survives this league’s slate, it truly will be among the nation’s best teams.”
To see Bilas’ full blog post, click here.
The US National Team has a massive game against Honduras October 10th, in their attempt to close the deal and book their tickets to the World Cup this summer in South Africa. But due to security concerns, the game may be moved to a neutral site.
Depending on which site you read, some report that FIFA officials are ok with the game, and other report that there is much more concern and the game will be moved.
Here are a couple of articles highlighting the US Team and Goalie Tim Howard.
From ESPN’s Outside the Lines: Fever Pitch by Wayne Drehs.
Article on US and Everton goalie, Tim Howard: Howard’s game growing in stature at Everton by Ken Lawrence.
The Beckham Experiment by Grant Wahl
I am about two-thirds the way through the book and here are some thoughts so far.
- The book is a deeper look at somethings we already knew.
- I like Landon Donovan even more than I did before. He tells it like it is. Check out his website.
- Alexi Lalas is smarter than we give him credit – but I still don’t like to hear him talk.
- Beckham seems like a down to earth guy – as down to earth as a guy who made $50 Million in 2007.
- The “getting-to-know-you” aspect of the other players like, Donovan, Alan Gordon and Cris Klein is maybe the most important piece that fans don’t get on a regular basis.
- The dealings of the Galaxy, 19 Entertainment, AEG and others can be very shady at times.
- I make more money than a good chunk of LA’s roster – sad.
I will review the book more when I finish the book. Here is a link to Wahls Sports Illustrated archive.