What A Sports Weekend!
Busy Basketball Weekend
The college basketball teams ranked No. 3-6 and 8, 10-14, 16-18, 19-21 and 23 are all playing on Saturday. Then on Sunday the No. 1, 7, 9, 15, 19, 22, 24, and 25 teams have games. And there are match-ups on ranked teams all over the place - some on television.
- Colorado at No. 2 Texas
- Georgia at No. 3 Kentucky
- No. 4 Purdue at No. 20 Wisconsin
- No. 5 Duke at No. 17 Georgia Tech on ESPN
- Marquette at No. 6 Villanova
- No. 8 West Virginia at Notre Dame
- No. 10 Kansas State at Missouri
- No. 11 Michigan State at Iowa
- No. 13 Connecticut at No. 12 Georgetown on ESPN
- UNLV at No. 14 New Mexico
- Miss. St at No. 16 Mississippi
- No. 18 Gonzaga at Portland
- Boston College at No. 21 Clemson
- No. 23 BYU at UTEP
- No. 1 Kansas at No. 15 Tenn on CBS
- South Florida at No. 7 Syracuse
- Virginia Tech at No. 9 UNC
- No. 19 Florida State at Maryland
- No. 22 Washington at Arizona
- No. 24 Butler at Detroit
- No. 25 Temple at Rhode Island
Duke at GT – GT had one of the best recruiting classes this year, headlined by the want to see GT’s super-freshmen Derrick Favors play. Favors was the No. 2 recruit in the nation last year and while he is not getting the headlines like other freshmen (John Wall and Xavier Henry), Favors is averaging 12.2 ppg, 8.8 rpg and 2.2 blocks per game.
Kansas at Tennessee – Does anyone know what is happening or going to happen to the players arrested? I think they are suspend indefinitely, so this match-up may not be as close as it would be with Tyler Smith in the line-up. Still these are both talented teams, but Kansas is just bigger than Tennessee. Update – Smith has been dismissed from the team.
Purdue at Wisconsin – I know that Big Ten basketball can be very painful to watch, but this is the Boilmakers first real road test at the toughest place to play in the Big Ten - i.e. Duke in ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
UNLV at New Mexico – I know nothing about either of these teams, but there is buzz surrounding both teams. Should be a tough conference game.
NFL Playoffs Getting Started
The first round of the playoffs are also happening this weekend. And there are two rematch from last week with Philly and Dallas and Green Bay at Arizona. A lot people are picking upsets and home teams losing. Here are match-ups:
- NY Jets at Cincinnati
- Philadelphia at Dallas
- Baltimore at New England
- Green Bay at Arizona
Every match-up really could go either way, but here are my quick thoughts.
- New York beats Cincinnati, I have no real thoughts about this game.
- But the Philly/Dallas game is very interesting. Was what we saw last week real with Philly? I am not sure. But I think The Eagles go back to Dallas and upset the Cowboys.
- New England could struggle without Wes Welker, but I am not confident in the Ravens offense. So, I am picking New England.
- Green Bay rolled over Arizona – or did the Cardinals roll-over when they knew there was nothing to play for? I think Green Bay wins again.
The Vikings will play either Dallas, Arizona or Green Bay next Sunday. I fear only the Cowboys – but the Cardinals beat the crap of the Vikings and it is very hard to beat a team three times in a season. But the Purple are playing at home.
Minnesota Timberwolve GM David Kahn Podcast
I listen to a lot of podcasts – ESPN has a ton – and one that I listen to is the NBA Today with Ryan Rusillo. He however is not the reason that I listen. Rusillo just thinks to much of himself and kind of drives me nuts, but he gets a lot of good guests on the podcast.
he latest podcast features an interview with T’Wolve GM David Kahn and they discussed the team and his thoughts on the future of the team. Click here to get to the NBA Today podcast page.