Brett Favre Staying Retired
Good god. Is it over? A few of the major sports outlets – i.e. ESPN.com, yahoo.com, etc. – are reporting that MN Vikings coach Brad “Why do I still have a job” Childresshas confirmed with the Star Tribune that Favre is staying retired.
This is really an unlikely outcome to the drama that has played on between Minneapolis and Mississippi. I really did expecthim to sign with the Vikings, but lately the rumblings were that he was become more and more concerned with his legacy andthat the move to MN would destroy any relationship with the Packer Nation.
So, those suppose No. 4 Vikings jersey are going to be collector gold if they were actually made. I have no feeling either way, but I am glad that it is over.
Mexico 5-0 Over US in Soccer
This game fell on it’s ass in about 5 minutes. But they USA were fielding their “C” squad, with none of the players from the Confederations Cup in the stadium. So take it with a grain of salt.
Mexico did look amazing with Tottenham’s Givoani Dao Santos and Arsenal’s Carlos Vela looking like they were playing against a JV High School defense.
US looked tired in the second half and only Stuart Holden and Kyle Beckerman looked like players who deserve to have a chance to play on the “A” squad.
Team USA National Basketball Try-Outs
The word on the street is the Kevin Durant is dominating the US Try-outs. And Durant’s his shooting ability is something the team lost with Michael Redd going down with injury – Durant shot 42% from distance this season.
Some people are saying, Durant isn’t good enough to play on Team USA, here is a run down of his stats last season. 48% from the field, 42% 3PT%, 86% from the free throw line, 6.5 rebounds per game, 1.3 steals per game and 25.3 points per game.
You may say that his team is a losing team and his stats are not legit, but you can not ignore his shooting percentages, no matter the record of the team.
- Drew Gooden and Tim Thomas signwith the Dallas Mavs: Who cares? Not me. Well, I must a little. I put it in my blog!
- Tyson Chandler and Omeka Okafer have changed teams: It is a wash for now. I like them both, but I think Chandler will struggle away from Chris Paul’s lobs.
- The Timberwolves trade Etan Thomas, Damien Wilkins and picks for Chucky Atkins: I like Chucky, and I like the changes. Now figure out the Ricky Rubio situation!!
MN Twins Justin Morneau for AL MVP
Please do not get blindsided by the easy coast. Check out the stats. Morneau is in the Top-10 in every major oeffesive category.
There is no other player has that kind of collective stats, maybe teammate and BFF Joe Mauer. New York’s first basemen Mark Teixeria and Tampa’s third basemen Evan Longoria are close, but Morneau has to be the leading candidate.
|League Leaders – 2009|
|• Ranks 9th in AL in BA (.315)||• Ranks 1st in AL in HR (26)|
|• Ranks 1st in AL in RBI (82)||• Ranks 6th in AL in R (70)|
|• Ranks 9th in AL in BB (54)||• Ranks 6th in AL in OBP (.400)|
|• Ranks 1st in AL in SLG (.595)||• Ranks 2nd in AL in OPS (.994)|
PS – The Twins have four of the top 25 homerun hitters in the AL – that more than NY, the Angels and the Red Soxs.
Morneau – 26, Kubel – 17, Cuddyer – 18, and Mauer – 17.
Random Soccer Bits
- World Soccer Daily - If you are looking for some great football chatter, check out http://www.worldsoccerdaily.com. They are they only daily soccer show on Sirus Radio, but you can listen live on your PC or watch the the show live on UStream.
- www.objectivo.com. For unique soccer influenced T-Shirts. I received my Landon shirt – sweet.
- One of my favorite podcasts is from ESPNsoccernet – check here for the latest epoisode of the crew.
- I have Grant Wahl’s book, The Beckham Experiment,and I have not ye tread it. When I do, I will post my opinions.
So I have taken a couple days off, mostly because I was not moved to write. But with the shocking news of Jessica Simpson and Tony Romo splitting-up, I felt compelled to voice my concerns.
Jessica and Tony
So, you’re saying there is a chance? No, there is not.
Timberwolves Coaching Search
The rumors out there is that the TWolves are looking at Mark Jackson, Kurt Rambis and Rockets assistant Elston Turner. I would be OK with Rambis or Turner, but not Jackson. HE HAS NO HEAD COACHING EXPERINCE!!
Maybe Jackson will have the respect of the players, but still, I am not ready to throw the team Mark Jackson.
NBA Summer League
The TWolves rookies have been playing well and Jonny Flynn looks legit. Wayne Ellington is playing well. Check out the highlights at ESPN.com.
Ellington has scored 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in two games. Ellington pulled down 8 rebounds in the first game and then scored 22 points in the second.
In two games Flynn is averaging 11.5 points, 10.5 assists and 6.5 turnovers. But looks to be able to control a team and get to the basket and finish against bigger players.
I just wish they would trade Rick Rubio. Say good bye to the Spanish wonder and get some draft picks or young talent.
Blake Griffin had a steller debut. 27 points and 12 rebounds.
I am putting it out there – Rookie of the Year comes down to Griffin, Flynn, Steph Curry at Golden State, James Harden at Oklahoma City and Tyreke Evans at Sacramento. Girffin may not get as much PT with other bigs in his way.
I am eagerly awaiting this original Landon Donovan inspired soccer t-shirt I bought at www.objectivo.com.
They have some pretty original shirts. Check them out.
In the ranking releases on July 1st, Brazil claimed the No. 1 spot after their championship in the Confederations Cup in South America. Moving up from No. 4
The US moves up two spots to No. 12 while the Spainish team fell to No. 2.
Random Basketball Awesome Fact of the Day
Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson are a part of what elite group that Carmelo Anthony has the possibility of joining?
If Carmelo wins an NBA title, they will be the only three players since 1979 to win a NCAA, NBA and Olympic Championship – I think. I am trying to find info to say other wise.
Now prior to the high school revolutiona and the one-and-dones, it was seen more often. But I am struggling to find others in the last 30 years.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy Fourth of July. I took the week off and was very much off-line and it was great. And there is a lot of sports news to filter through.
American League All-Star 1B
I follow baseball very lightly. I keep track of the MN Twins and have a general understanding of everything else going on.
I saw the AL Starting Line-Up for the All-Star game and I am going to play the “homer” card here. New York Yankees first base man, Mark Teixeira, was voted into the starting line-up over Twins slugger Justin Morneau and I have to say that I completely disagree. I will file this under “East Coast/Yankees basis”, so I thought I would lay down some stats in some of the major offensive categories.
- Hits: MT – 83, JM – 101
- HR: MT – 20, JM – 21
- RBI: MT – 61, JM – 69
- AVG: MT – .273, JM – .323
Morneau also leads in OPS, SLG, and OBP. But I do not really know the calculations that make up these numbers.
Morneau *Stats pulled from ESPN.
|Ranks 3rd in AL in BA (.323)||Ranks 2nd in AL in HR (21)|
|Ranks 2nd in AL in RBI (69)||Ranks 8th in AL in R (56)|
|Ranks 5th in AL in OBP (.399)||Ranks 1st in AL in SLG (.601)|
|Ranks 1st in AL in OPS (1.000)|
|Ranks 4th in AL in HR (20)||Ranks 5th in AL in RBI (61)|
|Ranks 6th in AL in BB (48)||Ranks 8th in AL in SLG (.546)|
|Ranks 8th in AL in OPS (.928)|
Ok, I am done. I think I have proved my point. Morneau should start!
I am a huge soccer rub and I watched the US team in the blowouts and the victories of the Confederations Cup and I was very impressed with the turn around Bob Bradley’s team made from the group stage to the finals.
The US team proved they can compete and are a legit top-15 team in the world, but they need to play more consistent. As cliche’ as that sounds, the US was incredible versus Egypt, Spain and Brazil and then very “sheepish” against Italy and Brazil – the first time.
Landon Donovanshowed he is a European level player, Oguchi Onyewu signed with AC Milan, and Jozy Altidore may get some time in Spain.
I am not completely convinced that Bob Bradley is the coach that can take the team to their full potential, but he did take a US team to the finals of a semi-major tournament that include soccer power houses.
There are concerns that the US brass to consider, but my major issue is this: How the hell is Freddy Adu not on the pitch? Other than Donovan and maybe Clint Dempsey, Adu is the most creative player on this roster who can create scoring opportunities in open play.
The back line is solid, goal keeping is top-notch, the mid-field is improved with Ricardo Clark playing the defensive holding midfielder, and speedster Charlie Davies is great counter-part to the strength of Altidore up front.
We will see how they handle the next step in the evaluation of a potentially strong team in the World Cup.
NBA Free Agency Grades
Rasheed Wallace to the Celtics = A. This makes sense for both sides. Wallace will get a chance at another title and the Celtics get KG knee insurance.
Hedu Turkaglu to the Raptors = B. Portland would have been a good fit, but I the roster is similar to the Magic, it will depend on the style.
Trevor Arizia to the Rockets = C+. Should have gone to LeBrons house. Rockets are in rebuilding mode, but if he stays could be a crucial part of the foundation.
Ben Gordon to the Pistons = B+. I don’t know what this means for Richard Hamilton, but Gordon can score and the Pistons needs help.
Charlie Villanuevato the Pistons = B. Rasheed Wallace Jr. He will have the oppurtunity to grow and become a major player.
Marcin Gortatto the Mavericks = C. I am not sure why, unless he is there to replace Erik Dampier.
Ron Artestto the Lakers = A-. This move has the potential to be messy, but Artest is a good player now. Solid defensively and better than Arzia offensively. Lakers are better.
Over all, the teams made themselves better. Wallace and Artest are very short-term fixes, but their teams are pushing to the title now. It will be a tough year in the East and Houston is going to struggle without Yao and who knows what they will get from Tracy McGrady.
Look Who Showed Up To The Party
Hey everybody, it’s Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.
Gasol decided to stop holding the ball (LeBron – take note) and was decisive with the ball in the post and Odom actually played well. They are co-winners of the stat line of the night ; Gasol had 14 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 blocks and 2 steals and Odom had 19 points, 14 boards, 3 assists and 4 blocks.
Quick stat run down:
- The Lakers out-blocked the Nuggets 12-5.
- J.R. Smith shot 3-for-13 from the field and 1-for-10 from three. He could be so much better.
- Both teams shot poorly from distance. The Lakers were 3-for-16 for 18.8 percent and Denver shot 7-for-24 for 29.2 percent.
- Derek Fischer had two more shots then Chauncey Billups (9-7). WHAT?!
This game continued to prove the Lakers can turn it on and off when they feel the need and that Sasha Vujacic will not be back with the Lakers. Vujacic “highlight of the night” was his reaction to an Odom and-one. The best thing he did all night.
Kobe’s non-Kobe night always demonstrates a trend (LeBron – take note), when the superstar scores 45, it is because he has to. Jordan’s teams rarely won in double figures when he scored 40 or more points. The best games came when Jordan was finding teammates and they were hitting shots (not to the rest of the Cavs).
The LeBrons: Get to Work
The locker before the start of game 5 is going to as tension filled as the season premiere of Jon and Kate Plus Eight.
What is going with the offense in Cleavland? Watching the Cavs in the fourth quarter is painful and no point comes easily. I am not sure what Mike Brown can do, but every player without the last name James, needs to make more shots. It’s that simple. Mo Williams and Donte West get looks, but are shooting poorly. And the post game is just like the Lakers, limited at best.
The Magic have been very impressive. The have the size at every position and are quicker at most. They are a hot team and it will take a LeBron like performance from someone other than LeBron, for the Magic not to advance. But they will take nothing for granted.
The Magic are doing the greatest psych job on the Cavs. They call LeBron the greatest player, saying he is unstoppable, which they haven’t. But they have stop everyone else. The more that Stan Van Gundy and the Magic, talk about how unstoppable LeBron is, the more the rest of the Cavs sit back and watch.
Manchester United vs. Barcelona
Lionel Messi lead Spain’s best past the English Champions, beating them 2-0 in Rome. ManU came out strong putting pressure on Barca, but the Samuel Eto’o goal at eight minutes, turned the match on it’s head and Barca looked in control all game. The game was capped with Messi’s header at 70 minutes from a nice cross from Xavi.
With the win, Messi should secure the Player of the Year awards. It was a good game, but United were shell shocked after the first goal.
DTP NBA Mock Draft
In the coming days, maybe a week or two, but defiantly before the draft, we will have a mock draft breaking downs the picks for the June NBA Draft.
Sometimes those things called “responsibilities” get in the way of blogging and watching games. Stupid work and parenting…just kidding, so don’t call social services. But I still have opinions about things that have happened in the sports world.
I believe in Karma – the idea that good will come to those who do good and bad to those who do bad. But the Clippers getting the number one pick in the draft is not very Karma-like and it drives me nuts. Even the Timberwolves couldn’t the first pick, Blake Griffin, then I was hoping Oklahoma City would. Like LeBron to Cleavland, this would be another example of the hometown hero playing for the local NBA team – even if it is hasn’t been in Oklahoma as long as Griffin has been a Sooner.
Now that the lottery is over, Matthew and I are going to a break of the picks the teams will makes and the picks they should make.
The T’Wolves have a new GM and I hope he is able to make the right pick, which is the freshmen out of USC – JUST LIKE LAST YEAR. DeMar DeRozan is everything the T’Wolves don’t have: an athletic, tall, slasher that is atheltic enough to make plays until his basketball skills catch-up.
It will be an interesting draft, becuase don’t the Clippers to keep the pick. But I do expect them them to mess it up.
I was impressed the Magic’s last three games. But I do not expect them to beat the Cavs. the LeBrons were just a little sleepy from the time off. I did say before the end of the Celtics/Magic series that I though the Magic would give the Cavs a better series than the Celtics – I also did not want to see anymore shots of KG on the bench.
The Cavs get so scared in late game situations. They get out of the way of the King and wait for him to create. That is tough when you have a good defensive team like Magic. When the ball sits in LeBrons hands too long, it doesn’t work. The ball has to move and make the defense shift to get shooters open. But the high pick and roll did not work last night and LeBron held the ball for 18 seconds and the defense knows what he is going straight to the rim and then kick out to the open shooters.
Chauncey Billups makes the Nuggets less hateable, so I guess I am routing for Denver in the West. I thought Carmelo Anthony was amazing the first game. He battled Kobe and it was a great match-up. The question is if Carmelo can keep that level of intesity.
Each series could get flipped on it’s ear with one game. But the NBA title will come down to Kobe vs. LeBron and battle of the benches.
Very Quick Hits
- The MN Twins beat the Chicago White Soxs 20-1,scoring more points than the MN Vikings did in most games. Joe Mauer has 8 homeruns this season after missing the first 30 games.
- Kevin McHale is expected to step down as head coach of the T’wolves. I think he is a better coach then GM, but it took seven losing seasons to get him out o f the front office. So, who knows what will happen.
- Greg Paulus is heading to Syracuse and will be competing for the starting QB spot. Probably will get more playing time than he did at Duke this season.
- What the hell happened to David Ortiz? I think we all know, but we just don’t want to talk about the big-ripped, muscular, steroid using elephant in the room.
- The No. 1 player on some lists, signed with Kentucky. I think Kansas and Kentucky will be locks for the Final Four.
NBA Playoffs Mini-Hits
1. I will go on record as saying this has been the most entertaining and competitive opening rounds of NBA playoffs I can remember (minus Cavs vs. Pistons and Nuggets vs. Hornets).
2. The current Chicago Bulls roster is a who’s who of Final Fours recent past.
- Loul Deng - Duke 2004
- Kirk Hinrich – Kansas 2003
- Ben Gordon – UConn – 2004
- Tyrus Thomas – LSU – 2006
- Joakim Noah – Florida – 2006 and 2007
- Derrick Rose – Memphis – 2008
3. The Derrick Rose/Rajon Rondo triple-double “anything you can do, I can do better” showdown, is the single best match-up in the playoffs.
4. The Cavs looked bored at times playing the Pistons, if it weren’t for the fact that the LeBrons were so much fun, I would have been bored. It seemed like there were more Cavs fans at the games in Detroit than Pistons fans.
5. Example of balance – in Game 4 of the Sixers vs. the Magic, every stater scored in double figures. Hedu Turkaglu finally showed up and hit a game winner when the Magic needed. Philly’s Andre Miller is underrated and has been his whole career. Andre Iquodala is showing the nonbelievers that he is a legit All-Star type player not just an athlete.
6. The Hawks are talented, just not basketball savvy enough to take this series from DWade and the south beach bunch.
7. If Kobe plays like he did in Game 4, the run to the Championship series will be short. Carlos boozer has one of the nice jump shots, I would have never thought so at Duke.
8. Yao looks tough and Von Wafer is the talk of the town in Houston. PS – Portland. FRONT YAO IN THE POST!
9. Say good-bye to one of the greatest Dynastys we have seen. Duncan is at the end of maybe the greatest career since Jordan and the Spurs will have to find another way to win, just not this year.
Side Note – The Pistons, as we knew them, are done. The lose to Cleavland is the final bell and this team is be exploded all over the league. No one is safe.
Draft Declarers Round 6 or 7 – just like the NFL draft
- Gerald Henderson, guard from Duke
- Ty Lawson, guard from UNC
- Wayne Ellington, guard from UNC
- Steph Curry, guard from Davidson
- Greivis Vasquez, guard from Maryland
- Tyler Smith, forward from Tennessee
Everyone not names Vasquez, go to the NBA. The only one that is questionable is Smith. We know what he can do, but I want to see him develop a better shot. Personally, I would like Henderson to come back and lead a stacked Duke squad, and he still has the option without an agent. Only Curry has signed with an agent, but I would expect the first three on the list to join him quickly.
NDSU’s Woodside Workouts
Ben Woodside will be wearing NBA gear of at least four different teams, if only for a couple hours. Woodside has work outs scheduled with the Timberwolves, Trial Blazers, Grizzles and Rockets and should expect more in the near future.
Many experts feel Woodside will not be drafted, but is almost guaranteed a free agent contact with an NBA team.
DraftExpress.com had this to say about Woodside durning the Portsmouth Tourney.
- I would like to know how many people, who are not getting paid, actually watch the entire NFL draft.
- I am not sure who started the trend, but I like seeing the players at home waiting to be selected. Surround by people who have supported them not matter what jersey they wore. Instead of with a bunch of people who are only cheering you because you wear their team’s jersey.
- Boston swept the Yankees – suddenly, A-Rod is needed.
After a couple of days away with family and other busy times, I think we need to catch-up on the happenings.
Draft Declarers Round 5
- Scottie Reynolds, guard from Villanova
- Gani Lawal, forward from Georgia Tech
- Austin Daye, forward from Gonzaga
- Tasmin Mitchell, forward from LSU
- Dwayne Collins, foward from Miami
- Luke Harangody, forward from Notre Dame
- Patrick Mills, guard from St. Marys
- Donald Sloan, guard from Texas A&M
- Derrick Brown, forward from Xavier
This is maybe the most hot and cold group we have seen to date. Only Mills should really consider the jump, but I think he could do himself more good to stay and wins some more games. Mitchell had a great year, but needs refining, and Daye needs to stay and evolve into a player. Sloan, Reynolds and Brown will be solid players in the league and might be heading into the draft because it is considered a weak draft.
Harangody should come back and make up for this poor year at Notre Dame. Even though I don’t think he will be high than a late first round pick – and that might be generous.
PS – Ricky Rubio has declared. But he is under contract with his current club. There is a reported 7.8 Million buyout price tag for a NBA team to pay just to sign him.
Rubio is behind only Blake Griffin on Chad Ford’s Top 100 list.
Congrats to Cavs Head Coach Mike Brown and Orlando Magic Center, Dwight Howard. Brown officially winning the Coach of the Year Award after one of the more impressive seasons in the last couple years and Howard pulled in the Defensive Player of the Year – to be annouced today. Brown had over 200 more points than the next coach and over forty more votes.
Pitno Going to Florida
Not that one. His son. 26 year old Richard, is leaving the comfort of his Dad’s place to hanging out with Billy Donovan. That’s it. Nothing more. But it does make me wonder, why. Same job, different team.
KG Not Ready To Play
Kevin Garnett maybe be done for the season. The knee injury is not improving and he did not look strong according to Celtic’s Head Coach Doc Rivers.
This would be a huge blow to the defending Champions repeat campaign. Many experts did not expect them to beat the Cavs with KG, let alone without him. The Celtics might not get past the second round and could struggle with the Bulls in the first round.
The Celtics will miss KG more on the defensive end than on offense. The still have fire power in Paul Peirce, Ray Allen and the rest. But no collection of players can replace the defensive awareness and intensity that KG has every game.
Here is your chance Leon Powe.
- Shawn Taggart, forward from Memphis – this is hopefully more about the coaching change.
- Damion James, forward from Texas – this team is going to be loaded next season, maybe worried about PT.
- Patrick Patterson, forward from Kentucky – see Taggart.
No one has hired an agent, which is the right move, but I would expect to see the James and Taggart back for the 2009-10 season. Texas could make a deep run with the team they have next season. Memphis, not so much. Kentucky is in for a bumpy season and EPSN.com projects Patterson has a mid-to-late first round pick.
Side-Note- Yahoo.com’s Jason King wrote a peice on the underclassmen and their choices.
I do watch a good amount of soccer, and this is one of the best goals I have seen in a long time by Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United.
PS – Arensal destroyed Villareal 3-0. Welcome back Mr. Walcott.
Timberwolves Starting Line-Up
In the last game of a tough season for the Timberwolves, Kevin McHale started Mike Miller, Kevin Ollie, Mark Madsen, Brian Cardinal, and Jason Collins. In an interview, McHale said this was his way of saying thank-you for being good leaders on the team. I think it was a way to lose to a crappy team.
BETTER DRAFT PICK!
I am not sure I care right now. I have stop paying any attention since Randy Foye went down awhile back.
Here is what I think they need to look at in the 2009-10 season.
- A shooting guard over 6’4″.
- A shot blocker – Al Jefferson average 1.7 a game, the next is Kevin Love with .65.
- A pass first point guard – Three guys on the team average more than four assists a game, but no one averages over five.
- A New GM – This is a reoccurring theme from years past!
- Another All-Star type player.
This team has peices of a winning team, but needs another player that can take games over when Jefferson is double-teamed and consisteny at the coaching position. McHale is a decent coach, I think players repond to him.
But McHale can not go back to the front office. Because when we get the No. 1 pick, he will find a way to mess it up. PICK BLAKE GRIFFIN. I don’t care about Kevin Love, Ryan Gomes, and the bunch. You will put butts in the seats and get an atheltic player this team hasn’t since the thug days Isaiah “JR” Rider and the original Eastbay-Funk-Dunk (that might be the only time Rider is mention in a post, on purpose).
Paulus to Put on a Helmet
Former Duke starting point guard, Greg Paulus, has been visting with the Green Bay Packers and the University of Michigan about playing football. Yes football.
Paulus was a highly recruited player out of Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, New York. The former Gaterade football player of the year had scholarship offers from Notre Dame and Miami but choose to play got Coach K at Duke.
Paulus lost his starting job this season to sophomore Nolen Smith, but continued to be ready when called upon. Paulus acted like an assistant coach as his minutes continued to get cut, he averaged on six minutes in the teams final seven games.
Only one. Junior center out of UConn, Hasheem Thabeet. Hire an agent my friend. Get out of Storrs, CT before it gets ugly and make a ton of money.
It is being reported that Thabeet has not yet hired an agent, giving himself until June 15th to withdraw his name from the draft.
Rock, Chalk, Stay a Jayhawk
Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich are coming back to Kansas for another season. The best inside-outside tandem in the Big 12, will lead an experienced and talented team that is predicted by experts to be the No. 1 team next season.
With the possibility of signing McDonald’s All-American’s Xavier Henry and Lance Stephenson, Bill Self will have four top-100 recruits and an exciting team that will have little competition in grabbing the Big 12 crown and make a deep run in March.
Top Recruiting Classes
With all the coaching changes and releasing of players from the letters of intent, ESPN.com has updated their rankings for the top recruiting classes of 2009.
Once the seedings are set for the East and West conference, Matthew and I will do a little break down of the match-ups.
Plus, we will announce our choices for the NBA Award winners: MVP, Sixth Man, etc.
Isiah Thomas Gets Another Job
I would like to revisit this story in about 26 months. I don’t have a lot of faith, but you never know.
Draft Declarers – Round 3
- Jeff Teague, guard from Wake Forrest
- DeMar DeRozan, guard from USC
- Taj Gibson, forward from USC
- Daniel Hackett, guard rom USC
- Jrue Holiday, guard from UCLA
- Jordan Hill, forward from Arizona
- Nic Wise, guard from Arizona
- James Harden, guard from ASU
- Jonny Flynn, guard from Syracuse
- Paul Harris, guard from Syracuse
- Eric Devendorf, guard from Syracuse
Rumor has it that DeRozan, Hachett, Holiday, Harris and Devendorf have all hired agents. The Syracuse boys are making a mistake is that pans out. Neither Harris or Devendorf guaranteed to be drafted and the Orange have a great chance at making a run to the Final Four next season if they return with Flynn.
There is a ton of talent in this group, but other than the the players from the PAC-1o (minus Wise), everyone should come back for another year. I understand the desire to leave the craziness of Arizona, and USC is the OJ Mayo/Reggie Bush ”Amatuer” Sports Prep School, so it is natural that the three best players want to jump – they may have a couple years ago.
I have also read that PITT forward and Big East Co-Player of the DeJuan Blair has hired an agent. That is a mistake. There is little chance of him being a first round pick, but I am sure he is being sold on the idea that the media is calling this a “weak draft” and he better strike while he is hot.
Duke Fans Meet John Wall
If Wall signs, Duke would have 3 out of the top 17 draft picks in 2009 classes.
ESPN 2009 Top Recuiring Classes
ESPN was had a list of the top-25 classes coming in next year. It looks to not have adjusted for the coaching moves and recruits de-committing.
A couple highlights.