Day two had more Madness and it finally resembled tourneys of the past with upsets and game going down to the wire. We had major programs get beat by the deadly “Mid-Major” and say some great individual performances.
1. Domination of the Day: Louisville over Morehead State. Runner-up: Cleveland State over Wake Forrest.
2. Performance of the Day: Ben Woodside of North Dakota State scored 37 points in the Bison lose to Kansas. Woodside shot 13-for-23 from the field and 8-for-10 from the foul-line. Runner-up: Sherron Collins of Kansas.
3. Upset of the Day: There are a couple to pick from, but Cleveland State over Wake Forrest is the obvious choice. Plus they were dominate in this game. The Vikings looked like the higher seed.
Telling stat of the game: Cleveland State had six turn overs, WF had 18.
4. Game of the Day: Again, there were many to pick from, but I think the best game was the Oklahoma State over Tennessee.
5. Bison Review: I would say that I was happy with the way the Bison played and Kansas took advantage of NDSU’s weakness in the post. NDSU was able to hit from deep, but had no counter punch to Cole Aldirch down low. I was glad to see Woodside play well and he kept the Bison in the game. He was able to get to the basket very easily and showed that he is a talented player. The battle between him and Collins was great.
6. Overall Feeling on the Day: Other than the 16 vs. 1 seeds – and a couple other random games – the quality of play has been very high in this tournament, and the second day of Big Dance Madness was nothing less.